The National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) is an annual assessment for students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9. It was introduced in 2008.
NAPLAN tests skills such as reading, writing, spelling and numeracy. The assessments are undertaken nationwide, every year, in the second full week in May.
The National Assessment Program is the measure through which governments, education authorities and schools can determine whether or not young Australians are meeting important educational outcomes.
Benefits of NAPLAN - Click here for an Infographic from ACARA
NAPLAN is like any other day at school. Click here to see this short video
Senior Assesment and Teritiary Entrance
The Queensland Government will introduce new senior assessment and tertiary entrance systems, which will commence for students entering Year 11 in 2019. The Government has decided to delay the introduction of the new system by one year to allow sufficient time for subject syllabuses to be prepared and for teacher development to occur.
Key changes to the system include
- Year 12 students will receive an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR), replacing the OP and bringing Queensland into line with other states and territories
- Senior subject results will be based on a student’s achievement in four pieces of assessment – three school-based and one external assessment
- For most senior subjects external assessment will contribute 25 percent towards a student’s final result
- Mathematics and science subjects will contribute 50 percent
- 80 senior syllabuses will be reviewed in preparation for external assessment
- An English subject will be compulsory for students to receive their Queensland Certificate of Education
Click here for Advancing Futures - a summary of the new systems for Senior Assessment and Tertiary Entrance in Queensland.
The Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority (QCAA) is the authority tasked with leading the implementation of the new system. See more click this link to the QCAA website.
You can find a copy of the P&F Federation submission to the Government's response to the initial review by clicking here.